Monday, May 18, 2009

Still avoiding Objective-C? iPhone App Development with Python | diamondTearz

Still avoiding Objective-C? iPhone App Development with Python | diamondTearz

Update: Please also read -Why I’m learning ObjectiveC for a status update.

Also check out Developing iPhone Applications Using Java for Java Options for iPhne Application Development.
I’ve taken a couple of looks at ObjectiveC. Long enough to initially decide that iPhone development was not for me. That accelerometer just seems so neat though so between Unity3D’s iPhone SDK and other avoidance strategies I’m back on the iPhone development bandwagon. I’ve been dabbling with Python for a few years now with slow progress. Lately I’ve accelerated my study of Python and been becoming very fond of the missing brackets that made me batty a few years ago and loving the brevity and the ability to throw a few lines of code out there and get serious results. This would not be a good time for me to wander off to dip into the Objective-C Pool. Then it crossed my mind to Google Python iPhone development. I was surprised by the results. I’m listing a few here. I welcome feedback from anyone who has had any experience with this.

  1. iPhone Development with Java- my collection of Java tools for building Native iPhone Applications
  2. iPhone Applications in Python- includes quick HelloPythoon with sqlite db app
  3. PyObjC Mailing List
  4. Python on iPhone Actually Rather Good- includes mini install guide for Python on iPhone
  5. Py-Phone -from google code
  6. Build Apache, Python, and other Open Source Apps on iPhone
  7. Running PyAMF on iPhone OS
  8. Run Django on the iPhone
  9. Easy iPhone Support for Django Apps
...